There are three types of wild boar hunting: hunting trip, search hunting and hide hunting.
In this article you will find
The collective wild boar hunting
The main feature of this type of wild boar hunting is the adrenaline. The barking of the dogs, the screaming of the hunters and the trampling of the animal that is running away make it a really exciting type of hunting.
The boar lover “must” have partecipate at this type of hunt in Italy. In the regions of Sardinia or Tuscany this collective hunt is a proper sacred rituals.
The talks and the laugh before and after the hunt makes these hunting moments unique, the celebration of the friendships and brotherhood between the hunters linked by a passion and by a lifestile that the majority of the people do not understand and will never know.
From the start, when the hunting boss reminds to everybody the safety rules and the guidelines to the attendees, till the end of the hunting, everything became serious and concentration and adrenaline reach very high levels.
At this point you can breathe:
• the expertise of the hunters
• their responsability and hunting ethic
• the passion for hunting
• the respect for the animal
In Italy often hunting trips and hound hunting are confused.
Is important to specify that you can recognize the hunting trip from the following features:
– extensive territory
– presence of the hunters that should make a real “human cord”
– an high number of attendees
– use of specialized dogs
– high shooting place with frontal shoot
– long shots
Is the most spectacular type of hunting and is practiced in the eastern Europe where it boast a century-old tradition. Here, often, boys, children and women from the near small cities joins the hunters.
The final outcome of this type of hunting depends on the ability of the attendees to create a thick humand cord that, advancing in the woods, push the animal outside to the shooting place where the hunters wait for them.
The wide plains of Romania and Hungary makes these countries a prefect place for this kind of hunt. The number of shooting places is really high and, if compared to the other type of wild boar hunting, the number of attendees is really high. This is why at the end this kind of hunt becomes a real event.
The tecnique is similar to the hound hunting, more widespread in Italy, but need a higher number of attendees that advance and press the boars.
As we have told before, this kind of hunting, in the eastern europe countries, becomes a real folkloric and celebrative custom in the parties for the patroons, when all the village is involved.
During the big hunting trips in Hungary, French, Germany and other mittel-and-est-europe countries, you can reach 100 attendees.
Hound wild boar hunt
This is the most wide practiced kind of wild boar hunting in Italy. Is taking place in woody areas or scrub, typical of the italian peninsula, that are the perfect habitat charachteristics for the boar, that here can breed outrageously.
In Tuscany and Sardinia the wild boar hunt is a cult moment.
The “Hounded” or “Cacciarella” is different from the “Girata” only for the number or attendees, whether they are dogs or hunter in the shooting places.
The hounded starts at dawn with the search of the nightly trample and other signs of the boar in the area. Once that you have identified the pack and the lair, hunters orgnize the shooting places based on the trails of the boars surroindings the animals.
The “lestra” (in the tuscany dialect), or more commonly, the “covo” is the hiding place of the boar, where it finds refuge during the hunt or in the night. “shoot at the lestra” means to shoot to the boar when it is in the hiding place. The name arise form the latin “lustra-orum”, namely hiding place of the wild beast.
After this starting phase, after that all the hunters are in the shooting place, the dogs owners reach the middle of hunting zone unleashing the dogs in order to let them drive the wild boar out from the hiding places.
The highest adrenaline point of this kind of hunt is reached when the dogs, once singled out the boars, force them to run towards the hunters.
The emotiong rise progressively, from the approaching of the voices of the dogs owners with the impated commands to the dogs to the moment when the black beast pops out from the bushes.
The dogs owners, besides to direct the dogs, have a main role in this type of hunting. In fact, their spur of the dogs with imprecations, shouts and encouragements, together with their ability to pretect the dogs from the attacks of the boar, prepare the shooters to the climax of the shots.
The shot itself is only the completion of an action that takes place from the night before that usually, for the real hunter, is sleepless.
The “girata” hunt
The “limiere” is the only dog used in this kind of hunt and, along with the low number of attendees, are the things that differ this hunt from the others.
This kind of hunt is really useful for containment purposes in populated areas where you have to mantain the public quiet for the inhabitants and for the other animals.
In general there are maximum 9/10 hunters in a very small area, often located at the border of oasis, natural reserves and parks, where the density of the boars is high.
The Basset Hound is one of the most suitable breeds of dogs for this kind of hunting.
The tecnique is similar to the hound hunting, but this kind of hunt is more selective.
Once that the hunters have identified the pack of boars with the essential morning tracking, they will sorrund the area with about ten shooting places and then the dog owner push the boars to the outside, where the rifles of the hunters with their scopes are waiting for them.
This wild boar hunting type is really fast and give the opportunity to the group of hunters to move during the day in difference places.
The “alla cerca” wild boar hunt
This kind of hunt is not practiced in Italy, but is equally charming. The wild boars need to be progressively approached in the pasture zone, in absolute silence and and in favor of wind.
The boar is the smarter animal in the wood.
This hunt requires experience and harmony, if you are doing it with a partner.
The shooter has to be clever and the shot accurate, behind the ear if possibly, in order to stop the animal in the place, avoiding long recovery times and, sometimes, the frustrating loss of the animal.
In order to effectively get closer to the animal, is better to move when the animals are calm and for a long time eating.
The selection hunt
The selection hunt in Italy is practiced only by the enabled selectors.
The shooting place is positioned near to the eating places or to the the entry or the exit from the wood, at sunrise or sunset.
This type of hunt requires a specific equipment, as follow
- a rangefinder.
- a precision riflescope with a good ability to catch the brightness, so with a wide bell.
- a bolt action rifle with an accurate calibration.
- a torch in order to be able to recover the injured animal.
Once you reached the shooting position, is important to have all the lever in support in order to have the maximum stability when you take aim before the shot. At this point, with ability and a little bit of luck you will be able to pick up your boar.
To remember during boar hunt:
- Recognize the imprints is really important. The foot of the male is different from the foot of the female, in fact the male have a round and close in the tip imprint, while the female have a stretched and opened imprints. In the pregnant female the nails are wide apart because of the weight of the fetuses and the imprint of the nails is more pronunced.
- If you find a tangle of imprints, pay attention to it. The tangle is generally made by prengnat female that stay at the borders of the pack looking for a place where they can give birth. The type of imprint and the type of tangle let you know at who the track belongs.
- The male, during is lonely wander, usually do not make tanlge of imprint, and if he does, are really small.
- Also the excavations on the ground are different from male to female. The male usually eat while moving and stops himself only if he finds some particular foods
The male boar:
- The male usually spends his days looking for female to cover. Due to this, the feeding is not a single and long pause, but is a continue of moments when he eat some snacks.
- The adult boar usually have one or two esquire, rarely three. These groups are easily to distinguish from the pack of female because you can’t find the small imprints of the baby boar.
- The young male leaves the pack at ca. one year old and looking for a older male in order to become his esquire. In this period they are fearful and clumsy and, if attacked by dogs, he defend himself doubters and full of fear. The adult boar, instead, is aware of its force and moves fast and resolute.
- Often, the young boar, after a fast and lonely escape, stops in the first refuge that seems safe for him, even if is not far away, things that the aduld never does.
- Sometimes, from the pack, escape only one animal. Most of the time, is a red beast.
- If you are facing an adult with his esquire, sometimes the second escape first and the old one stay to fight, but it can be that the adult escape first leaving the esquire alone.
- When the traces of two boars point the same pack, but suddendly one continue with the pack of female and the other slips away, it means that the male fight and the loser run away.
- There are a couple of techniques if you want to break down the male that at the moment join the pack of the females: usually the male do not stay in the middle of tha pack, but remain al little bit defiladed. Now the dog have two possibilities: or goes to the male or to the pack. If it goes to the male, now the boar is isolated and can be take. Usually the male wild boar are defiladed, but if it is in the pack the dog have to unthread the female that run away first and offer to the hunter a safe target.
The female boar
- The female, as always in nature, take care of the newborn. Reproduction and eating are their daily activities. One or two oldest female are the leaders of the pack and decide the movement and the defenses. If the pack, for some reason, lose the oldest female, falls into disarray. You can understan it by the escape mode. The ethic hunter will always avoid to kill the pack leader
- The female that separate for give birth or that just give birth, are really savage. If they have babies that are not yet able to walk, they swoop on the man or on the dog silently and with impuls, knocking them our definetively. On the other side, if they have babies that can walk, they prefer to threaten with theit typical grunt. The youngest female run away abandoning the babies, thing that also the oldest one do if they understand that they can not defend to the dogs, but the strategy in this case is to move away the dogs from the babies distracting them. Nature is cruel but perfect because the logic of conservations of the species want that the survival of a reproducer, most of all if young and healty, is more important that the survival of a single brood.
- By their side, the babies, by now lonely and abandoned, try to camouflagin themself thanks to the striated fur.
The suggested riflescopes
If you are looking for an hound hunt riflescope with also long shots in open field and you use an express rifle, a bolt action rifle or semi-automated rifle, we suggest the M30 1-6×24.
Its great filed of view give you and advatantage to the others. Is versatile because is good or a shooting place in the wood or in open field thank to its 6x magnification.
The M30 is a great riflescope with a huge diameter and the engraved and illuminated reticle, perfect for the “alla cerca” hunt.
With its usual unbeatable value for money, this 1-6×24 of Konus is perfect for the fast shot of the boar hunt on medium distance, especially in moving animals.
“Braccata” or “Cacciarella”
If you are in the middle of the wood your shots needs to be instantaneous and instincitve, we suggest the new Sight-Pro Atomic 2.0 #7200.
The laser pointer of Konus for the quick shot with a great vision. Sturdy, designed also for the most powerful weapons, The Atomic is very light and have a red/green point of 4 MOA that can be regulated with 5 intesities and features a rail for the mount.
If you are a selector hunter and you practice the selective hunt you need a good brightness and a accurate and reliable scope on the long distances.
The F30 4-16×52 is one of a revolutionary series of scopes that have the reticle on the first focal plane, mostly appreciated by the military shooters for they precision and ease of use: is perfect for the selection hunt to ungulates and boars.
Unmissable for safety
Remeber that your hunting, and you hunt with a rifle. Get yourself safe is the to priority in order to avoid that a moment of joy turns in a moment of tragedy. Bring always with you the high visibility vest Gametop or Gametop Reflex of Konustex.